O.C.F.D Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder

O.C.F.D Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder

Sunday 8 September 2013

The Syndicate 06-08-2013



It’s Tuesday and the car is loaded and me and Colin are off for a two night session.  This session is mainly to try out a new particle mix from Soar Tackle. We arrived at the lake around two in the afternoon, with just a couple of old boys fishing for Tench. There were a few Carp on the top so the first thing out the car was the floater rod. I set up with just hook to line to stalk one out the side on the good old bread, 10 minutes later and I have a Common on the end, stunning little one with white tips on the tail and fins.  Great start to the session but it was time to get the gear out of the car and try bag a bigger one.


 The peg I chose has a big tree on the opposite bank to my right. This is going to have two rods on it; there is a lovely silt area just in front of the tree between all the weeds. That’s the first two rods sorted, the third rod is to be fished in the margin on my bank but 60 yards down on a clear gravel area in front of a big tree. The rigs for the two rods in front of the tree will be a stiff hinged rig and a simple coated braid bottom bait rig. For the rod in the margin I am going to start with another stiff hinged rig, bait wise will be a glugged boilie on one with a pop-up on the other cast to the far side in front of the tree with a big bed of Marukyu Credence Krill Feast boilies in sizes 14mm and 18mm. The margin rod will be baited with a nut particle mix from Soar Tackle; this mix was made with a standard particle mix with crushed Peanut and Tigers. I will start fishing this with a pop-up.



The first fish off the bottom fell to Colin who was also using the same baits, a nice little mirror fell to a double piece of corn over the nut mix. The next bite didn’t come until first light and was to be off my margin rod a little Common taking a pop-up over the nut mix. So far so good on the new mix.  A couple of hours later my bottom bait rod tightened up with a few bleeps, I picked the rod up thinking it was a missed bite but half way across the lake I felt a small bit of resistance, maybe I just caught some weed on the retrieve but to my surprise there was a roach on the end. It turned out to be a nice one at 1lb 6oz, this tried to take a 18mm Krill Feast boilie and had a size 6 Vardis gripper hook in its bottom lip. I must say I was a bit gutted I had caught this because it was a lovely roach and to drag it in on a 3lb test rod was certainly not good for it. The next three fish came off Colin's rods all falling to the corn over the nut mix. All three were only small ones but still very pretty fish.


I was in 2 minds to change from pop-up boilie to corn with Colin having the last 3 but they are the small ones of the lake, I stuck with it and had another run on the margin rod shortly after which unfortunately resulted in a hook pull. A few hours with not a lot happening the next run was from my bottom bait rod, another small Common, although these fish were only singles and low doubles they scrapped like mad every time so its was still great fun. 


After this capture I decided to have a little change on one of the rods fishing over the boilies, I changed the pop-up rig over to the same rig on the other rod. Instead of using the Krill Feast boilies I used the Marukyu Credence Fruit Spice in 18mm with a small bag of crushed ones. All the freebies have been Krill Feast over this spot so I would be interesting to see if a complete opposite boilie can get a bite.
The light was starting to fade before anymore action came, Colin having four more singles through the night last one at four in the morning. I had a very quiet night until just before eight in the morning, one of the bottom bait rods was off this one being the biggest so far, a lovely upper double Common falling to the Fruit Spice boilie.


Making the change over to a Fruit Spice boilie payed off and i was confident it would go again. The rig I was using was made solely of Vardis tackle products, the hook link was Skin Line, soft in moss green, this is a lovely coated hook link which is still very soft much Iike a supple Fluorocarbon . I only stripped enough coating for the hair and knot less knot, to a size 6 Gripper hook. 


It was a quiet day until just after four and I was in with another off the Krill Feast boilie, only a small mirror this time. I was just slipping her back in and Colins boilie rod was off with his best of the session for him a lovely Common, we nearly had a brace on the bank. Things went quiet again but I had noticed a couple of big Carp to my right on the top, I grabbed the stalking rod and free lined a piece of bread right on the spot. After 30 seconds two Mirrors came up for it, one was a big Mirror pushing 30lb, but the small one a low double took the bait. This one weeded me up time after time but with a little help from Colin it was in the net, the last one of the trip. Although we didn’t bag a big one we had a far bit of action from a lake which is no runs water, I will be returning very soon to try put some of the bigger fish on the bank.




No comments:

Post a Comment