O.C.F.D Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder

O.C.F.D Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder

Sunday 3 November 2013

Somerset guest session 16-07-2013

5 am start today with a 3 hour drive down south. We arrived at the lake at around 8.30 after a stop off at MacDonald’s for a breakfast, well, It would be rude not to! First look at the lake and am impressed, lots of big overhanging trees and even better there are plenty of carp on the top basking in the morning sun. It was nice to see a lot of the stock on the top but I knew it was not going to be an easy task, so first things first the stalking rod is out and am walking round getting a look at the stock and looking for likely places to put a bait.


After a few hours with no takers I started planning the attack for night time, this is when I thought I was likely to get a bite. I had a walk round with a rod feeling around in a few spots to build a picture of the lake bed, not much to go on feature wise with depths of 4 foot max; the margins seemed like the best place to start. I found a few clear spots in the slit and started putting a little bait in. The first rod was to be fished over the top of a bed of particles with Credence fruit spice boilies, the particle mix was made up of pigeon condition, hemp, tares and maize all from my local tackle shop Soar Tackle, in the cooking process I added a couple cups of sugar and half a tub of Horlicks, this helps to boost the natural aroma that comes from seeds. I also added to this mix a good helping of credence fruit spice some ground up and some chops plus the odd whole one these go very well with this sweet mix. The second and third rod was to be fished over small beds of boilies, I say a small bed because I don’t feel like the fish are going to really get their heads down tonight, if you think about its red hot at the minute pressure is high I don’t want to eat a big meal a little salad would be much nicer and easier to digest. Now am not saying this is the case all the time but the way the fish are acting today it doesn’t look likely I will get many runs.
I put 2 rods out on zigs for a few hours just to see if I could get a sneaky bite. An hour later I was in, from the off something didn’t feel right this one was foul hooked in the tail which after 5 minutes pulled out, I was not a happy man not for the fact I lost it for the fact of the damage this may of caused the fish and being un able to treat it. A couple of hours later I had a repeat on the other rod this time I did get it in and was able to treat a wound on the petal fin and return it. 


After this I bought both zigs in and changed over to my bottom rigs for the night. The left rod was fished with a Marukyu Credence Krill feast boilie topped with half a Credence pop-up, a good dose of Marukyu Credence liquid was also poured over the hook bait, this thick brown liquid sticks to the bait and will still be around my hook bait for some time. This was fished over a small bed of whole and chopped Credence Krill feast, the second rod was fished with a Credence pop-up over a bed of particles and the third was another bottom bait using Marukyu Credence Fruit spice boilie topped with a piece of Credence corn again with Credence liquid, fished over a small bed of Fruit spice boilies. All three rods were cast without rigs onto the opposite bank. I walked round with the three rigs and clipped them on, then I used a fourth rod with just hook to line, using a small piece of pva string I tied hook to hook and was able to lower my rigs in as if by hand onto the lake bed. Well the first night went by with no takers so it was back to the drawing board, the next day was the same as before most of the carp on the top basking in the sun all day long. I tried to get them on some floaters with no luck; I also tried stalking them with some free lined bread in the margins but still no takers. Again the night time is going to be the best chance of a take, so back out with the rigs on the baited areas repeating the process from the day before; I topped the areas up with a little bait. 


 At 10.30 just as the light had faded I was in with a drop back, a steady fight to get the fish under the rod tip and thankfully into the net. Not a big fish for this lake but a stunner all the same and one happy angler, I had to really work for that bite and my time was not over yet so the rig placing procedure was repeated once again and I sat back rubbing my hands hoping this was the start of a good night, but this is carp fishing and things didn’t quite go to plan there. That was the only proper take of the session well as they say it only takes one bite……..

No comments:

Post a Comment