O.C.F.D Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder

O.C.F.D Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder

Sunday 3 August 2014

The River season 2014-15 so far

  The rivers are not my main waters this year but the time I have spent on them so far this season has been very enjoyable. First day of the new season and I was off down the River Soar for a little action, due to work commitments I only had a couple of hours in the evening. On arriving I expected to see a couple of cars at least parked up but there was none at all, sweet this will make things easier. I made my way up stream checking out a few spots on the way. I didn’t see any fish signs so it was time to check out my little spot that has produced really well for me in the past. I got the gear set-up and put some bait out, I sat back watching the water and I saw a couple of barbel moving in to the swim with there dorsal out the water, wont be long for a bite now. It did not take long for a bite the right rod bent right over with a great take. I had a great fight with this one at close quarters before finally she slipped in to the net the first fish of the new season and it looks a good one looking down in to the net. I got her on the bank after a few minutes recovery time and got some snaps, what a fish to start off with a nice looking double sweet. This was the only bite I had this session but what a bite to have I was more then pleased.

 

The next visit to the river was a few days later and again no one on the section, this place is a little gem. It has been much the same for the past 3 years which has allowed me to bait swims up without the worry of someone else getting in there. Off to my swim it is then, same place as last time with the same bait and rigs. This time the swim was alive with fish when I got there loads of silvers topping and a couple of barbel could be seen in the margin. I got the rods out and under armed them to the spots with a big hand full of freebies on both rods. It didn’t take long this time for a take another absolute screaming take with the rod almost doubled over. What a great battle I had with this one with it powering up and down stream, after a few more minutes she was in the net another double sweet. After a few minutes resting time she was on the bank posing for the pictures. It was still early but I packed up with a smile on my face and headed home.



The next session was to be with the owner of Castaway Pva David, its been a while for David so I put him in the prime swim and sat with him to help out anyway I could. The swim was very quite to start with so I only put a small amount of freebies in and proceed to top the spots up every 20 minutes. It took nearly three hours for the barbel to move in but as soon as they did one of the rods wrapped around with a take. David grabbed the rod and with a little instruction he had the fish under control it was just a matter of time before the fish slipped in to the net, this spot is not the easiest to land a in as the flow is at its strongest at your feet. With a little skill the fish slipped over the cord. David was very pleased to see a very nice Barbel sat in the net after the battle he had with it. After a couple of minutes resting time we pulled her up on the mat for some pictures, on the scales she went just over 10lb what a fish to catch on the first time out for some years. Well done David...



A few days later I decided to do a over night session further down stream. Things looked promising no other anglers there again and fish showing all over the place I thought I was going to be in for an eventful night. How things change an hour in to the session and nothing was showing and the rods just sat that waiting to rip off. Around one in the morning I got in to the bag and fell asleep to be woken up at around four with a take on the left rod. I was fishing locked up giving me time to get the rods, there is a snag about 30 yards down stream fishing with a slack clutch would see the fish heading for the snag before I had time to do anything. This was a good fish stripping line off the reel heading for the snags I had to stop it and put some serious pressure on to turn the fish I thought I was going to lose this one but fortunately she turned and headed back up stream towards me. A few more minutes passed with the fish playing hard under the tip rolling in the top layers throwing water up the bank. Finally she slipped in to the net and I yelled out yes this was a good fish. I never weighted this one as I had forgot the scales but she was easy over 13lb a good size for the River Soar. I held her in the water until she was ready to swim off enjoying the moment. I was well happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment